When you think of the best region for digital marketing, Africa isn’t the first thing that crosses the mind. But there’s more than meets the eye.
Alibaba’s Jack Ma says
Africa is China 20 years ago
Technology is happening there, and young Africans explore the Internet fast and with enthusiasm. Today, the region is on the edge of the tech revolution, ready to take off and to welcome online businesses.
In this series, IQ OPTION team tell you everything they know about digital marketing in Africa and teach you how to take over this emerging market.
In this article you find out:
- General info about the region
- Top-performing countries
- The portrait of an average client
- 3 must-knows for digital marketers
AFRICA IN A NUTSHELL
The African continent consists of 53 countries, with the Internet penetration (link) of just 39.3% — lower than anywhere else. Don’t be fooled by the numbers: it’s lower now, but it’s growing even faster than Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
In a matter of a few years, Africa will be a giant digital market — and those who will get there first will be on top of the game.
If you know nothing about African users’ tastes and needs, here’s a quick portrait of IQ OPTION average client in the region.
Young and ambitious
Most IQ OPTION traders from Africa are young males. Women have some interest in trading too, but on a much lesser scale. The recommendation is to target men under 35.
There are an estimated 2,000 languages spoken in Africa. Besides the former colonial languages of English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish, people speak local languages, which may or may not be official at the national level.
60.88% of the platform users in Africa trade from mobile phones: 48.19% of real account traders work from Android devices, 12.69% — from iOS. 36.56% of users choose desktop and 2.56% go with other platforms. These stats are applicable to the entire region, so whichever country you focus on, opt for the mobile promo.
IQ OPTION latest stats show that ‘Options’ are people’s favorite instrument in the region, followed by Forex.
Finally, here are three things to know before you launch a campaign in Africa:
1. Mobile internet is cheaper than PC connections.
It means most of African internet traffic originates from mobile devices. If you want to spread your affiliate efforts to this region, a mobile-friendly website and mobile ads are a must.
2. Mobile Money is one of their favorite payment options.
Mobile Money gives the ability to accept payments from mobile operators. It’s a very popular payment method in the region and at the IQ OPTION platform.
3. Chat apps are big —
people use WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Viber all the time. Don’t hesitate to use them to spread the word.
Now you will learn how to customize your affiliate performance based on the following metrics:
- Top countries by different indicators
- Trending instruments
- Payment methods
- Traffic sources
To help you apply this knowledge in practice you reada few universal marketing tips for Africa in the end. Let’s dive right in.
So IQ OPTION top countries based on the Lifetime Value (LTV) statistics are South Africa, Somalia, Egypt, Algeria, Morocco, Ghana, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, and Namibia. These countries perform best in terms of the total profit received by affiliates from one client per month. Let’s take a look at other metrics to get a bigger picture.
IQ OPTION filtered the best-performing countries of the region based on the Lifetime Value (LTV) statistics from the IQ OPTION platform, which shows the total profit received by affiliates from one client per month.
South Africa, Somalia, Egypt, and Algeria are the leading countries as of mid-2020. Still, other countries are developing fast and can pleasantly surprise you if you choose to work with them.
This is Africa that Jack Ma was talking about.
Hint: although Somalia is only #2 in the list, it’s been showing amazing growth at the platform lately in terms of conversion rate (CR) to first-time deposit (FTD) and other metrics. There’s a lot here you can work on.
TOP COUNTRIES BY %CR TO FTD
Сonversion rate (CR) to first-time deposit (FTD) stats show the percentage of registered users who ended up making a deposit. The higher CR to FTD, the higher the chance to get more active traders that bring profit.
TOP TRADING INSTRUMENTS
IQ OPTIONtraders in Africa prefer high-risk instruments, with ‘OPTIONS’ topping the list. The full ranking looks like this:
Keep in mind that these stats are applicable to the entire region and might look different from country to country. To choose the right combo, visit IQ OPTIONrecommended countries page.
The account currency of an average client from Africa is USD, EUR, and, less frequently, South African Rand (ZAR). ZAR can be traded at the IQ OPTION platform as an instrument as well; however, other African currencies are not presented due to their high volatility.
Credit and debit cards are present but not very widespread in the region — far more widely adopted is the Mobile Money payment method by mobile operators. For example, Kenya is dominated by a mobile phone-based money transfer service M-Pesa with 90% of the market share.
Those may vary depending on the region, but the IQ OPTION platform works with the most popular and reliable ones:
Don’t forget to use payment methods logos in your promo materials — easy transactions are a strong argument for traders.
Africa is pretty close to the rest of the world in terms of popular channels. Messengers are people’s favorite media, with WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Viber topping the list.
The most popular social media are Facebook (63%) and YouTube (24.14%). Search engine traffic mainly comes from Google (97.05%).
UNIVERSAL MARKETING TIPS
- Use materials in local languages. Foreign language proficiency is low in Africa.
- Focus on one region. African countries are still pretty isolated, so it makes sense to get to know the locals’ pains and needs in one country and tailor your campaign to it.
- Promote tournaments. Traders from Africa love contests and prizes.
- Use country-specific content. Exploit current affairs and nationally loved topics (football, environmental consciousness, etc.), colors, and local faces in your visuals.
After you’ve learned what Africa is all about in terms of the marketing landscape. Now, let’s have a closeup of top-performing countries and meet the local audiences.
You will read about South Africa, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Nigeria, Kenya, and Namibia. But first, 6 universal tips that are applicable to each country from the list:
1. Appeal to emotions. Users in Africa like the adverts that are easy to relate to. We recommend using visuals in bright colors depicting local people. Expensive accessories and other striking details are big eye-catchers.
2. Keep it human. The local audience doesn’t like offers that are too official. Approach your audience with tips and personal experiences, make meaningful content, support discussions on social media. Representation, multiculturalism, diversity, and inclusiveness are ways to win the audience.
3. Focus on mobile promotion. Most internet users in Africa search from their mobile phones. For example, In Nairobi, 93% of households have at least one mobile phone — even more than in some Western European cities. Make sure to use the materials from IQ OPTION Mobile promo section.
4. Don’t miss out on social media. The social media hunger score is high in Africa. Engage with people on Facebook and Instagram to boost your campaign.
5. Use video content. They’d rather watch a video than read an article, and they eagerly share videos with friends on Facebook and Instagram.
6. Work with influencers. Young people in Africa tend to trust local succeeders, follow them on social media, and appreciate their recommendations.
SOUTH AFRICA IQOPTION tips
Languages: Afrikaans, English, isiNdebele, Pedi, Sotho, Swazi, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, isiXhosa, isiZulu
Platforms: Google, Facebook, YouTube
Payment methods: Mobile Money, mPesa, Visa/Mastercard, Webmoney, Neteller, Skrill, Adv Cash, Bitcoin
- South Africa tops IQ OPTION stats in the region in terms of conversion to first-time deposit (FTD) and new users flow.
- The future is bright for digital marketing in South Africa: almost every person there owns a smartphone, and the survey conducted by Adobe shows that 59% of customers have a greater interest in digital ads than in TV and radio commercials.
- South Africa is a diverse country with 11 official languages. However, English is a universal language of the media and public discourse — everybody can speak and understand it. Use materials in English or test different campaigns in local languages to attract a wider audience.
IVORY COAST IQOPTION tips
Languages: French, Dioula
Platforms: Google, YouTube, Facebook, Yeclo.com
Payment methods: Mobile Money, Adv Cash, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Webmoney, Visa/Mastercard
- Côte d’Ivoire’s internet infrastructure is doing good and getting better, which makes it a great place to unwrap your marketing toolkit. Governmental support of the digital economy, fiber cables all over the country, and affordable smartphones imported from Asia set a beautiful stage for digital marketing, although it is still not a very competitive area.
- Use creatives in the French language. Also, speak French in social media and make sure your keywords are in French.
NIGERIA IQOPTION tips
Languages: English, Hausa, Yoruba, Igbo (Ibo), Fulani, Ijaw, Ibibio
Platforms: Google, Bet9ja.com, YouTube, Facebook, TikTok
Payment methods: Verve, NIBS, Mobile Money, Adv Cash, Bitcoin, Skrill, Webmoney, Visa/Mastercard
- Nigeria is #2 country in the region by most metrics after South Africa: it performs great in terms of new registrations.
- The country has the highest Internet usage in Africa, and fintech businesses grow and blossom there.
- With cheap mobile internet and fiber cables all over the country, the number of internet users is growing, which makes it a great place to promote IQOption products.
GHANA IQOPTION tips
Languages: English, Akan
Platforms: Google, YouTube, Ghanaweb.com, Facebook
Payment methods: Mobile Money, Crypto, Skrill, Adv Cash, Webmoney, Visa/Mastercard
- Ghana is a closed community where people rely on word of mouth and neighborhood establishments rather than on advertising. Social media is a good place to build trust.
- The average Ghanaian consumer has a limited budget and is really sensitive to price. Show the costs involved — mention that it’s easy to start even with a limited budget but don’t insist on the minimum deposit — let people decide how much they want to invest.
- Highlight Mobile Money. This is a widespread payment method that most people can access. Make sure you mentioned it in your materials as a deposit/withdrawal method.
KENYA IQOPTION tips
Languages: English, Kiswahili
Platforms: Google, YouTube, Nation.cо.ke, Tucо.cо.ke
Payment methods: mPESA, Mobile Money, Adv Cash, Bitcoin, Neteller, Skrill, Webmoney, Visa/Mastercard
- The digital ecosystem in Kenya is very dynamic. Local businesses switched from traditional media to online advertising in a matter of a few years, which is definitely a sign of a rapidly growing market.
- 90% of mobile payments in Kenya are made with mPesa, so don’t forget to mention that the IQ OPTION platform supports this payment method.
- Kenyans appreciate blogs with useful information. Helpful and clear content is the best way to succeed in this market.
- Kenyans are getting more and more visual, so platforms with video content like TikTok are not to be overlooked. YouTube videos and Instagram stories are also much-loved formats.
NAMIBIA IQOPTION tips
Languages: Afrikaans, German, English, Oshivambo, Herero, Nama
Platforms: Google, Facebook, YouTube
Payment methods: Webmoney, Visa/Mastercard, Neteller
- Namibia is a country with low population density and high digital expectations. With mobile internet spreading over the country, people learn to find solutions to their problems online.
- Let them know trading can be learned even if they have never invested before. Share educational videos and social media posts explaining how to trade on the IQ OPTION platform.
- Tell them it’s affordable. Increase the emphasis on the low initial deposit and zero commissions on transactions.
Now it’s time for Arabic-speaking African countries: Egypt, Somalia, Algeria, and Morocco.
But first, 3 universal tips that will help you in each country from the list.
- Target your ads with a focus on the Arabic language. This applies to your promo materials, your keywords (both in Arabic and English), and the language of the social networks. Check out IQOption ready-made landing pages and banners in local languages to save time and effort.
- Respect the law. Countries from the list below are religious and have a lot of sensitive topics. Exercise a healthy amount of situational awareness and don’t be overly insistent in your adverts. Make sure your texts and visuals don’t contain sensitive materials and follow the law, both Islamic and state.
- Go social. Social media marketing remains an essential strategy for local advertisers. A useful and active Facebook page will aid your affiliate efforts big time in Africa.
EGYPT IQOPTION tips
Languages: Arabic, English, French
Platforms: Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, Instagram
Payment methods: Visa/Mastercard, Neteller, Bitcoin, Skrill, Webmoney, Adv Cash
- Egypt is the digital hub of the whole Arab world — trends adopted in Egypt spread across the MENA in no time. The Internet penetration rate is 54%, which is higher than in most African countries. For digital marketers, Egypt is probably the easiest country to work with.
- Focus on Facebook. Egypt is #1 in terms of Facebook usage in the region and many businesses use it to reach their audiences.
- Video posts score the highest engagement rate among other types of Facebook content in Egypt. Choose high-quality videos from the IQ OPTION collection and use them in your promo.
ALGERIA IQOPTION tips
Languages: Arabic, French, English
Platforms: YouTube, Google, Facebook, Ouedkniss.com
Payment methods: Visa/Mastercard, Bitcoin, Skrill, Neteller, Adv Cash, Webmoney
- Algeria is one of the most populated Arabic-speaking countries. Its digital background is changing as more people access the internet and more online payment gateways emerge in the country.
- Most Algerians are Arab-Berber, but the urban population does not speak any dialect of Berber. Some people speak French though, so feel free to test campaigns in French in addition to the Arabic and English ones.
SOMALIA IQOPTION tips
Languages: Somali, Arabic, Italian, English
Platforms: Google, YouTube, Caasimada.net
Payment methods: Skrill, Neteller, Perfect Money, Visa/Mastercard
- Somalia is the unicorn state of iqoption top African countries. It’s growing fast digital-wise and shows great results on the platform. For example, it’s second only to South Africa in terms of the Lifetime Value (LTV) statistics. Recently, new payment options were added to the platform for Somalia, which increased the odds of a high ROI even further.
- Translate your content into Somali. A combination of Arabic and Somali will engage users on a more personal level.
- Display payment methods. The IQ OPTION platform features easy deposits and withdrawals with Mobile Money — don’t forget to mention them in your promo materials to raise interest in the product.
- Have your DNS resolve inside Somalia. If you register your domain from outside Somalia, requests for your domain will need to constantly enter and exit the national network, slowing down your website speed. To fix that, either register your domain with a registry in Somalia or use a cloud DNS service.
- The online population of Morocco is young and digitally-savvy, so it’s a good place for an affiliate in case you know how to communicate with the local audience.
- Google.cо.ma has pretty low rankings due to the governmental censorship — people don’t do Google search on the local domain because they question its security. Work with the global version of Google.
- The vast majority of the population searches in Arabic, but there is a significant amount of people who speak French. So, test campaigns in both Arabic and French.
I hope this article help you create marketing strategy in Africa.